6 Twitter Tips to Help Get You Noticed

6 Twitter Tips to Help Get You Noticed

Shared by Charles Smith from EarthArtsNW


Hi all, I see quite a few etsyians who are a little unfamiliar with twitter and how it can be used to enhance their etsy shops. I get approximately 50-60% of my sales through twitter and it's a valuable tool. Here's some tips that might help you get noticed on Twitter.

1. When posting a shop listing be sure and keep your post under the 140 character limit by enough that someone can easily re tweet it for you. I usually try allow at least a 10 character margin.

2. Don't forget the hashtags in your post. hashtags are even more important if you don't yet have a large following because they are the only way someone not following you is likely to see your post. For example I often use #jewelry or #handmade with my listings. Someone searching for those terms on twitter will at least have a chance of seeing your tweet in the search results.

3 You can automate and preschedule your tweets using a tool like tweetdeck, you can also use a tool like Etsy-fu to randomly go through your listings and create and post a tweet for you at a set interval. I would recommend that you auto tweet no more than once an hour.

4. Be sure and tweet more than just your listings. People following you may get annoyed if that's all they see in your feed. I include notes on my creative process, tips for collecting rocks, my thoughts on design etc.

5. Be generous with your re tweets. It costs you nothing to re tweet fellow artists and it builds a lot of good will. If you can create a network of social media support I can guarantee your sales will go up!

6. Engage! You don't have to tweet 24/7 but you can't just create an account and add a few tweets and expect that people will flock to you. Comment, compliment, RT and share. That's what it's really all about. We as Artists and Artisans have a creative spirit that we were meant to share. Others out there value what we can give so don't hesitate to jump in!

Good luck and good tweeting everyone!
Charlie


About Charilie...
Charlie Smith is a local Northwest artist who loves using found minerals and gems to create one of a kind jewelry and wearable art.

14 comments:

  1. Thank you for your post I really need to learn how to use this tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see that my post helped a bit Martinella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to follow these practices myself but I have never heard of tweetdeck or Etsy-fu, Thank you for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem Michelle! Glad that these were useful!

    One other thing I forgot to mention is that you need to be sure and add your etsy page url to your twitter profile! Make it as easy as possible for people following you on twitter to also find and follow you on etsy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlie, how many times a day would be good to tweet, comment, compliment, RT, share and retweet?

    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Male, I find it best to spread my twitter activity around a bit to get the best exposure. I try to post something or re tweet at least 4 times a day at different times. It's also helpful to link your other social media posts with twitter as well so that if , for example, you post on Facebook it also shows up in your twitter feed. Good luck, I hope you found my tips helpful :-)

      Delete
    2. I love your advice Charlie, it is defenitely helpful :D

      Thank you so much and good luck to you too!

      Delete
  6. thanks for the great advice. I am still a bit unsure about Twitter and how it works and your blog really helps. I am worried that I will annoy people if I tweet too often so I just do about one or two a day and sometimes another one nothing to do with my etsy shop but about another art hashtag. I rt lots of other artists too. However I have hardly any sales!!?? so obviously I need to be more brass necked about it! J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, it kind of depends upon how many followers you have. The more you have the more often you can tweet without clogging up their feed. If you are just tweeting a product listing probably no more than 7 or 8 times a day is good, but you need to also tweet about more than sales. Maybe include tweets about what inspires you or your process. Try to add value to those viewing your feeds. Include tips about buying products like yours and even recommendations for special occasions etc. Also don't forget to Re Tweet other artists. Not only will it make your feed much more interesting you'll be spreading the love around for handmade one of a kind items! Don't forget to crosslink your Pinterest and Facebook posts as well! Good luck :-)

      Delete
  7. Great tips and advice thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Twitter can be a great tool for get the word out :-)

      Delete
  8. Hi Charlie,
    Your article is great! Lots of good info. I recently wrote a similar post on my blog. http://jularee.wordpress.com/2014/04/28/tweeting-like-a-bird/
    Check it out when you get a chance.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for this!! I really struggle with Twitter as a promotional tool. This was sound advice! www.etsy.com/modestly

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad that it helped a bit Annie! Just stay with it and network like crazy, twitter will be a big help eventually 😊

    ReplyDelete